Monday, January 16, 2012

Anchors A-uh-waita-minute?!?

So today is day four and I am definitely getting tired of this main salon sleeping thing. I mean it's not all bad, my beds pretty huge, but some of our crew like to wake up very early to make coffee, and it's starting to infringe on my beauty sleep!!!! ;) So after a not so bright and cheery morning start, we talked about onboard systems (electrical, engine etc) and made way to The Baths of Virgin Gorda. We made great time, our winds were strong, about 15 knots, and we sailed east, tacking a couple times as we approached the baths. (see sailing videos) Once we were greeting close to The Baths I saw that intense turquoise blue color of the water in the distance and I knew we were close. It really is amazing. So we pull into the harbor and start looking for a mooring ball to tie up to (the ruby dawn had already gotten one). There are none left, so we decide to drop anchor. But just when we're about to cast anchor, the windlass quits working! Crap! What to do. Well between Mike, Rich Sharon and myself, we took it apart just enough to free the passage of the anchor chain, then we formed a human chain and dropped it down manually. Crisis averted! Crew of the Prosecutor-1 anchor windlass-0 Ha!! We the swan ashore and after climbing through those huge amazing granite boulders and baths, did a little snorkeling in the clear blue waters, then hopped in the dinghy for a ride back to the boat. Once aboard we had a delicious chef salad waiting for us that Debbie so graciously prepared. I love eating super healthy when I'm down here, just fruits veggies and salads and stuff, natural, and not too heavy. It fits the warm climate amazingly... Since we had a good deal of ground to cover and not alot of time to do it in, we made haste to set sail for Virgin Gorda sound. We want to reach our destination in daylight so as to avoid the reefs that form a narrow channel of entrance into the sound. Haste we desired, and it was haste indeed that was made! The winds kicked up again, and we shook out the reef in the main sail that we had carried this morning. Making full use of both our sails we made great time, cruising along at up to 9 knots of speed, our bow crashing through the waves. I lay on the deck as we cruised along, soaking up the warm sun rays and making shapes out of the big fluffy white clouds in the sky. I think how today I'm finally hitting my stride. I mean during every boat trip i enjoy, it takes me a couple days to really get my body in tuned with the motion of the boat, the mighty hull as it storms through the seas. It's easy to be a Lil queasy the first few days, but this time I'm feeling great pretty early, so I'm very glad for that. Once there's no sea-sickness, theres nothing to dampen the beauty of the sights and experiences surrounding you. We pick up a mooring buoy after arriving in the sound and enjoy BBQ chicken, rice, veggies and cheesecake with blueberry topping! Boat-alicious! After dinner we lay out on deck, gazing at the stars and feeling the wind cool us down after a long day of sailing in the heat of the sun. Tonight the stars are the brightest they've shined thus far. I love the peace of it all.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

Location:Virgin Gorda

No comments:

Post a Comment